HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Pressure switch error on my trane xl14c unit. Looking for a

Customer Question
Pressure switch error on my...
Pressure switch error on my trane xl14c unit. Looking for a reset button but can't locate it
JA: How old is the appliance? Have you gotten error messages before?
Customer: No, think it's about 10 yrs old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes, I've been inside the unit. I cleared the valves, tried sucking on the tubing and made sure no obstructions
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Blower seems to run fine, just not igniting
Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 day by:
11/21/2017
HVAC Technician: Webb-Guy, HVAC Mechanic replied 26 days ago
Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, HVAC Mechanic

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. Sorry to hear that you are having this trouble. I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question if you are still needing help that is?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
please, I described the issue already. Only update is that I replaced the pressure switch but it still won't ignite. Blower comes on but no ignition and error code says it's a pressure switch issue
HVAC Technician: Webb-Guy, HVAC Mechanic replied 22 days ago

have you tested the ignitor yet?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
How would I do that

do you have a multimeter?

ok ​so I need you to test the ignitor to see if it has continuity?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Please give detailed instructions rather than just a sentence at a time. Please provide a series of steps.

My apologies I am not trying to be short I was just dealing with a few other things as well. This video should certainly help you with testing this part to see if this is where the issue lies.

https://youtu.be/GYG7kA5uqjk​

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
I searched for the ignitor, please see attached as it looks very different from the one in the video, also it did not have two terminals, but when I put both ends of the meter on the single terminal I did not get a read of anything more than an ohms or two.
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Please reply
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 17 days ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

My name is***** you are getting a pressure switch error, the igniter has not come into play yet.Disregard earlier comments and lets see why pressure switch is not being recognized as closed..Give me complete furnace model from label on inside of furnace so I can give instructions specific to your unit.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
At work now, will do that this evening.

Sounds good. What we will do is allow the inducer motor to start,then verify whether pressure switch is closing or not.Could be that it is closing but board is not recognizing it closed. As soon as board recognizes pressure switch closed ignitor should start sparking.Until it does we will get no igniter.

You can test continuity on the switch after inducer starts to verify if it is closing.

If not closing you can take a jumper and bypass the pressure switch to see if error will go away.(Just for testing purposes).Note :we have to allow inducer to start first as inducer will not start unless switch is "open"

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Can you tell me how to do the continuity test? I assume use an ohmmeter, and what should I see?

If your meter has sound it should beep.If not give me model on meter and I will look it up

HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 16 days ago

Try bypassing pressure after inducer starts

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
Sorry, not sure how

Take a jumper wire and connect the pressure switch terminals together,That will simulate it being closed.

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
Ok will need to get a jumper wire. Will let you know

If you have a couple of alligator clips you can make one

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
Ok and the wire would just connect the terminals on the pressure switch

We want to actually connect the wires If you can partially unplug from swicth you can place jumper on terminals.

Customer reply replied 15 days ago
Here is a picture of jumper wire connected along with wires to terminal. The blower did not come on this way. When I removed connectors and just had the jumper wire on the cables the blower comes on but get the same error and no ignition.
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Any thoughts?
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 12 days ago

Jumper has put in place AFTER inducer starts.

Customer reply replied 12 days ago
start system and blower then connect jumper....that correct
Customer reply replied 12 days ago
Just to be clear, before I try again......the set up should be the same as I sent in the picture, with the wires on the terminals, but just add the ends of the jumper wire to the terminals AFTER the blower has started, correct?
Customer reply replied 11 days ago
Progress, I jumped it. Ignitor lit and blinking led was constant, which I believe means normal call for heat.So gas and ignition work, what should I do now?
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 11 days ago

Next we have to decide if pressure switch is bad or inducer is not pulling suffiocient vacuum to close it.Remove hose from inducer housing and leave it attached to the pressure switch. Power off and back on to reset board again, Then call for heat at thermostat. Allow inducer to start then suck on the end of hose still attached to pressure switch and see if switch will close and burners ignite.

Customer reply replied 7 days ago
Ok, yes, did what you said and got it to ignite. First had to reset the flame rollout switch, but once I did it ignited.
Customer reply replied 6 days ago
Also, I just went to trip the pressure switch to get some heat into the house. Ignition was successful but after a couple minutes the flame rollout switch opened....not sure if this gives you ideas on what is wrong
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 5 days ago

While the furnace is running, watch the flame and tell me if the characteristic of flame is changing like blowing around or rolling out and getting close to the rollout switch.Id sounds like a bad heat exchanger

Customer reply replied 5 days ago
Would fixing the heat exchanger likely also fix the suction to the pressure switch?

Absolutely.If heat exchanger is allowing the burners to fluctuate, that would also effect the vacuum on the pressure switch.

Customer reply replied 5 days ago
OK, I work now, but will look later, where is the heat exchanger...what should I look for (I'll look at the flame again, but when I've done it I haven't seen the flame move blowing around or rolling out, but I'll check again).....pretty solid gas smell.If it needs replaced, do you know where I can get one and estimate how much it might be?

If issue is heat exchanger, you may want to check and see if it might be covered under warranty.If you had to pay to replace, you can buy a new furnace cheaper.

Toss a tablespoon of salt in blower and see if flame color turns all orange.

Customer reply replied 5 days ago
Good news, bad newsGood, heating exchange is under warranty (though I haven't looked at it)Bad news, I went to trip the pressure switch and the led on the motherboard went out.Ugh

Is there a fuse on control board?If so look and see if maybe it just blew little fuse.

airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician