HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have developed a continuous humming sound that I cannot…

Customer Question
I have developed a...

I have developed a continuous humming sound that I cannot figure out where it is coming from. It can be heard throughout the house but my neighbor who is attached on the bedroom wall does not hear it.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

At least for 8 weeks but it may have been less obvious prior to. It sounds like a fan is running.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have shut down each circuit to be sure it is not electrical and just need some advise as to how to proceed. I had a leak in the ac unit in May and we replaced the part by a HVAC technician. I had him back to check the noise out and he could not determine where it was coming from.

Contractor's Assistant: Are you an HVAC professional?

No just a homeowner.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/19/2017
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 8 months ago
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician

Russ here. Is this a continuous sound or just when Air Conditioner is running. Is your system Heat Pump or gas system. Russ

Furnace is gas. Hot water heater is electric.

Is the sound continuous or when heat system is running. Russ

Continuous. I have shut heat off and still hear what sounds like motor running.
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 7 months ago

To check to see if the problem is electrical turn off all power at the breaker panel using the breakers. See if noise goes away. If it does turn each breaker on one at a time and see if noise come back when breaker is on. Russ

Let me know. Russ

I did this last night and the noise is still there. I did each breaker.

Check to see if you have breakers under the meter. Russ

I am at work so I will check when I get home. This is a ranch condo. The gas meter is on my neighbors house. I have electric meter on my side. They do no hear any noise.

Ok. Let me know. Russ

No there are no fuses at the gas meter.

With power off to everything and you still have same sound it is not coming from your Heating or Air Conditioning system.