HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My thermostat is cycling on and off vert frequently, about…

My thermostat is cycling...

My thermostat is cycling on and off vert frequently, about 20 to 30 seconds each

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

I think the thermostat. Earlier it was giving an elongated beep about every 20 mins to an hour. I reprogrammed it and now it is continually cutting in and out, not leaving the furnace to operate efficiently

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, if possible. It is too late to call a serviceman or buy a new one and the snow outside isn't going away any time soon.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don't understand What other info do you need?

11/19/2017
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

Hello, one minute while I get some information together. Note it takes time to type so please be patient.

Either you have a bad thermostat or the batteries are getting low, make sure you have new batteries in the unit and if you do and the unit is cutting in and out replace the thermostat with a new one.

All I ask is please select the 5 STAR rating at the top of your page before leaving otherwise I receive ZERO credit for assisting you. Thanks and you can come back anytime for free followup questions.

HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Although the thermostat indicated the batteries had good life I changed them anyway. The thermostat is again recycling too frequently as it did before.
Will my furnace be all right over night until I can get to a store tomorrow?

Yes it will be fine, if you need it to heat just remove the thermostat from the wall and disconnect the Red (R) wire and the WHite (W) wire from the thermostat and twist them together. As long as those two touch the unit will heat until they are separated.

I will do that now. Will you be around until I come back?

Yes I will be here all night

The wires are black, red, blue and green.

OKif the Red is attached to the R and then you need the one that is attached to the W terminal those two.

I have done as you directed. The furnace is running steady for now, probably trying to bring the temperature up. It is getting quite cool around here. Now the fan has just cut in.
I assume this is a temporary fix and the thermostat needs replacing.

Yes it will heat until you disconnect those two wires, Just make sure you do not touch the Red wire to ground or anything other than that you should be good to go for the night.

Thanks for your help and advice.

No problem