HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Goodman two stage gas furnace, 3 years old, currently is

code in system status code...
goodman two stage gas furnace, 3 years old, currently is code in system status code says LO , its firing up but not staying on?
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the pilot light?
Customer: pilot light is on, theremostat says 21inside, 24degrees, heat on hold, we shut the emerency shut off switch just in case,,, its Celsius
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if its a simple fix, possibly?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not really, just need heat, lucky snow is not here yet,,,
11/19/2017
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

Hello, one minute while I get some information together. Note it takes time to type so please be patient.

That means LOW stage heating, does the inducer motor come on and ignitor glow up then go out with no flame?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
it fires up , then shut off, has a flame

If it lights up then goes out right away then repeats this process you need to remove and clean the flame sensor rod off on the unit. The flame sensor rod is what detects the flame after lighting and tells the board to keep sending power to the gas valve to keep the flame going. Over time these get corroded and even go bad failing to send the correct Milliamp signal to the board. Normally a good cleaning with some sand paper will clean them right up and they will work fine again and in other instances they need to be replaced. The part is on the burner manifold and typically will only have 1 wire attached to it and will either be a straight metal rod with a porcelain base or a bent metal rod with a porcelain base. Get that out and clean it off then try it and see what happens. Here is an image of what you would be looking for to take out and clean off with sand paper.

CLICK HERE

All I ask is please select the 5 STAR rating at the top of your page before leaving otherwise I receive ZERO credit for assisting you. Thanks and you can come back anytime for free followup questions.

HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Well, I have to say it worked, wasnt easy getting the sensor off, but it seems fine now. thank you for your assistance, greatly appreciate it especially with the cold weather upon us. I am extremely satisfied.
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH