HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I tried to install new Honeywell WiFi thermostat

Hi. I tried to...

Hi. I tried to install new Honeywell WiFi thermostat th9320wf5003. And it doesn’t show display. In

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

Something to the thermostat

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I already installed it. Now the display isn’t showing

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have four wires. Am supposed to put wire in “c” but I don’t have. I have. Green, white, blue, and red

11/18/2017
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

My name is Billy.

This type of thermostat must have a C wire to operate. Other thermostats use batteries or are mechanical. This one will not function without a C wire.

Do you have access to the furnace?

i can access to the furnance.
i can not talk on the phone. im deaf.

ok, we can make this work...but we need to give up the fan on/auto function. Do you mind not being able to run fan only?

hum i don't use fan
what color wire am I suppose to put c? red?

Ok do this..

At thermostat..

Red to R (rc)

white to W

Yellow to Y

Green to C...NOT G

At furnace, take doors off and see where the thermostat wires attach or show me a pic..

Leave everything where it is EXCEPT remove green from G and put in C.

Then make a short wire to use as a connector and put one in G and the other in Y

ok now I see had green on G, ill move green wire to c. Thanks. thats all ?

no....please see what I had about furnace wiring. Once we move green to C in thermostat, we need to move green to C in furnace and the jumper I described

oh yes i reread. ok i will try access the furnace. in the furance move gree to c . want me go check now?

yes please..or take pic of the wiring and post here and I will mark it with directions.

ok ill go down. hold on
oh now work

great pic...I need same with bottom door off

ok

Excellent.

Now do you see the G terminal that currently has green...and the Y that currently has 2 wires in it?

which one on the bottom one?

see my notes here...click here

ill try.. i understand move green wire to c terminal along with wires. then short wire and put one in g teriminal I am not sure i get it. ill go down and look and see i can figure out... hold on

just go one step at a time.

Remove green from G terminal

Put Green wire in C terminal

Make a short wire stripped on both ends

put one end in G terminal

Put the other end in Y terminal.

At thermostat put green wire in C terminal

All done

there is two white wires on C terminal, ?? do i still put green wire in c?

correct...leave the ones there and ADD the green. So C ends up with 3 wires in it.

ok wow, it is difcult to ill try.

It is either these changes or go with a Sensi Thermostat instead. The Sensi does not need a C wire

ok i move green to c terminal. ok now. I am not getting which short wire and put one in g ternimal?

ok anywhere around house you would have a simple 3-4 " piece of wire?

oh ok let me see if I find it.
i found a short wire, now working on it. now i get it! :) do you want me to hung up or want me to work on and get back here

lets keep this open until we are done...work on it and get back when ready

That is fine but you may have to thin the wire count to make it fit.

You can also remove one the current wires,,,trim off 3- 4 " piece and mount the wire back where it was...then use the piece you trimmed off as a jumper.

iput wire on G but there are two Yellow Y 1 Y 2 which one?

Y1

got all wire on g to y, and rewrire on thermostata. Still there is no display

are doors both back on furnace with furnace power on?

it was the furance door that wasn't put back on and NOW the display is working !!! Thanks!!!!
Are we done?

So are you all set and satisified?

If so just rate service ( 5 star system) to close and move off the active list.

Thank you for your patience!

Billy

Rate 5! thank you. Thanks for being patience with me since I couldj't talk on the phone. have a good evening. bye

thank you!...just click the star at top of page and have a great weekend

Billy

BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech