HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Can the AC run if a thermostat is blank and the switch with

Can the AC run if...
Can the AC run if a white Rogers thermostat is blank and the switch with gas on one side and electric on the other is in the middle, which would appear to be the unmarked off position?
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: I can send u a screen shot.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I actually took it off and it was replaced but I am trying to figure out what caused water to come into my apartment. I know there was a drain clogged that a technician found and cleaned out. I think water had been coming in for a long time. The thermostat was off the wall for nine days and I had to use a manual fan that week.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: If the thermostat was blank and the AC HAD been on would that have overridden a stop switch if the AC pan was full?
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I would love to send u a screen shot to help me determine if the AC could have possibly been working.
11/18/2017
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician

Russ here. Go ahead send a photo please. Russ

No that would have over ride the pan switch. The pan switch will stop power to R or Y on unit which will shut down system. Russ

No that will not over ride pan switch. Russ

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
From the screen shot looking at the gas and electric switch could the AC HAVE BEEN WORKING in that position pardon the all caps.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
You still there?

Yes I am here. Cool left or right on that thermostat. Russ

After you replaced batteries is thermostat still blank

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Not sure on left or right. Thermostat was still dead after I replaced batteries. Tried to reset didn’t work either.

If those are new batteries you have a bad thermostat. Does not matter left or right if thermostat is dead. The float switch would have taken the thermostat out of service if pan was full. If there is another apartment above you and drain are run together that will cause a problem. Russ

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Perfect. Many thanks Russ.

You are welcome. I will open rate box. Thanks

gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician