HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a reznor f50 heater I am tying to get in use. I see

two wires n do not...
i have a reznor f50 heater I am tying to get in use. I see two wires n do not know where they go. It seems they are on some ECO part
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: an hour got the unit free. Replaced the 24 volt transformer. Got spark for flame nothing else.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?
Customer: Thermostat works. No filters on unit.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Really wondering what purpose the two wires are for. Its a eco part aboout a inch long
11/18/2017
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

There are 2 terminals on the gas valve (not TH or TR). That's where you connect the ECO leads,

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Is it necessary to use the eco piece. There is nothing to wire to there.

It's possible the gas valve was replaced. The ECO is a redundant over temp safety. It's not critical to the function of the unit.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
The gas valve does not stay open. I hear it but it closes.

Then you have a different issue. Do you have a standing pilot or electronic ignition?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Electronic

How far into the igniton sequence does it get? Does the igniter arc? do the burners fire up then go out? do you have a multi meter?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
The igniter runs it's cycle. But valve doesn't open. I have a multi tester.

Ok, you need to check for 24 volts at the gas valve. My schematic shows 2 possible gas valves. So depending on which one you have you either probe P & C terminals or PV & PVMV. You should read 24 volts while the electrode is arcing

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
36 at pv mv

Ok, that's way too high (you are on an AC scale). 29 volts is max. Likely the transformer has failed and needs to be replaced. You may have fried the gas valve as well but I'd try a new transformer before replacing the gas valve.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
No brand new transformer puts out 27.8

then there's no way you have 36 volts at PV & MVPV. Just noticed you said pv & mv = wrong terminals

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Readings at pv pv mv and my are all the same just over 19.8

Ok, borderline too low which usually means a bad connection between the transformer and the valve

Do you have more questions?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Checked all connections has to be a bad board.

If you have 27.8 volts into the ignition control and only19 out then yes a new control would be the next step

Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Rick
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor