HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My 3 year-old gas boiler has been flipping the spill switch…

My 3 year-old gas boiler...
My 3 year-old gas boiler has been flipping the spill switch and turning off in very cold or windy weather. I have had a plumber and chimney person look at the problem and they are saying my boiler is inappropriate for an exterior wall installation and that I need to replace it! They do not recommend a chimney liner or other chimney solution. I don't see any mention of this in the instruction manual and would like a second opinion. It is a Buderus GC-124/32.
11/18/2017
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

"boiler is inappropriate for an exterior wall installation" is a new one on me. While it may be creative it's completely bogus. It sounds like you have a down draft issue which is most common if the chimney is not tall enough. While a liner may help in cold weather it's not a sure thing to solve this and won't solve the down draft issue. One possible solution would be an inline draft inducer
http://www.supplyhouse.com/Tjernlund-D-3-D-3-In-Line-Draft-Inducer-1-20-HP-115V
This fan is cut into the vent pipe and will assure adequate draft. When there is a call for heat te fan starts up and a draft pressure switch aloows the burner to fire once adequate draft is proven.

Hi, thank you! Is this the same as a "Power Vent"? The Chimney company told me that Buderus said that would void my warranty and insists this an inappropriate installation.

This is the same guy who made the exterior wall comment? There is not such prohibition. In fact this unit can also be sidewall vented which would use an after market power venter. So I'd suggest you look for new contractors since what both these guys are saying is total BS.

Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
That's what I suspected, thank you!

You're welcome