HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Gas furnace ignites for 7 to 10 sec. shuts down and

Gas furnace ignites for...

Gas furnace ignites for 7 to 10 sec. shuts down and re-ignites

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the pilot light?

Yes, older type stat. cover off front of furnace calls for heat igniter glows, gas comes on, runs for 7 to 10 seconds

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can, if not who should I call. (74years ole retired EE.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

19 year old Reem unit

11/18/2017
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

Hello, one minute while I get some information together. Note it takes time to type so please be patient.

If it lights up then goes out right away then repeats this process you need to remove and clean the flame sensor rod off on the unit. The flame sensor rod is what detects the flame after lighting and tells the board to keep sending power to the gas valve to keep the flame going. Over time these get corroded and even go bad failing to send the correct Milliamp signal to the board. Normally a good cleaning with some sand paper will clean them right up and they will work fine again and in other instances they need to be replaced. The part is on the burner manifold and typically will only have 1 wire attached to it and will either be a straight metal rod with a porcelain base or a bent metal rod with a porcelain base. Get that out and clean it off then try it and see what happens. Here is an image of what you would be looking for to take out and clean off with sand paper.

CLICK HERE

All I ask is please select the 5 STAR rating at the top of your page before leaving otherwise I receive ZERO credit for assisting you. Thanks and you can come back anytime for free followup questions.

HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH