HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My 20+ year old Jotul gas fireplace stove is turning off by…

My 20+ year old...

My 20+ year old Jotul gas fireplace stove is turning off by itself after 30 minutes or less of running. It was just professionally cleaned by gas contractor who said that should fix problem. Problem still occurring. What could be the cause and how do I did it.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, what type of fireplace is this?

Freestanding stove, two front doors, Jotul brand, gas vented into room.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Ran fine up until February 2017 when problem occured. Had gas contractor clean and inspect unit. ran fine at that time. Turned gas off for summer. Problem reoccurring again after restarting stove.

11/18/2017
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

Hello, one minute while I get some information together. Note it takes time to type so please be patient.

Is this a standing pilot unit?

Ok, waiting patiently for your help

Do you have the model number and is it a standing pilot unit?

No model number available. Unit has pilot light

Does the pilot go out?

No it doesn't and you can start up stove immediately and it will run for a time.

OK do you see the ON/OFF switch and wiring that goes into the unit?

OK often that wiring is too thin and needs to be changed for some thicker wiring, it gets hot and then the unit shuts down. Can you replace that wiring Or just jumper connect the two at the valve to see if it stays on? If so the wiring needs to be changed, that was a common issue on the older Jotul units.

All I ask is please select the 5 STAR rating at the top of your page before leaving otherwise I receive ZERO credit for assisting you. Thanks and you can come back anytime for free followup questions.

HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH