HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My carrier thermostat control 's display just went blank. I…

My carrier thermostat control...

My carrier thermostat control 's display just went blank

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

I think it is thermostat-specific

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If it is simple, yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Yesterday I switched from cool to heat

11/18/2017
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

Hello, one minute while I get some information together. Note it takes time to type so please be patient.

What likely happened is the low voltage fuse in the furnace or airhandler blew. There typically is a SLOT STYLE 3-5AMP FUSE on the board itself inside the furnace/airhandler like this.

CLICK HERE

If that is burned out all power to the thermostat will be lost. 95% of all units use some sort of SLOT FUSE or inline BUS STYLE FUSE to protect the low voltage circuit. You need to find that and change it out. If you just bump two wires together you could have just popped it without even knowing it. Now if for some reason your unit does not use a fuse often the board will be damaged due to the short. You would need to confirm you have 24 volts to the board inside the furnace/airhandler with a volt meter to make sure though.

Note if you have a condensate pump check the float and make sure the pump is not full of water...as that could cut low voltage power to the unit as well if the pump is not working and full of water.

All I ask is please select the 5 STAR rating at the top of your page before leaving otherwise I receive ZERO credit for assisting you. Thanks and you can come back anytime for free followup questions.

HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
I don't know enough about HVAC systems or Carrier systems to follow what you are saying. I have to go into the attic, I suppose, to do this. I won't be going in there till tomorrow morning.
Can we have the call tomorrow morning? Also, how much have you charged me already? Thought this was a free trial.
Ok, can we chat about the situation here? Since I have already been charged for the initial answer ($28) + $24 for the call....
It says the technician is unable to call me, but I have been charged $24 for the call with 100% satisfaction guaranteed.
Can you help me now?
Need further help with the same question.
Phone call session started

Yes what do you need?

HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH