HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a Trane XE90. When the cover, covering the chamber

Customer Question
containing the gas tubes, igniter...
I have a Trane XE90. When the cover, covering the chamber containing the gas tubes, igniter, heat sensor, flame sensor rod, etc. is off the system runs perfect. If I put the cover on the system will ignite, run a second and then shut off. I have checked the intake tube and this is clear. In fact I removed the intake tube to see if this would make a difference and it did not, with this removed and the cover on it does not work and with this removed and the cover off it works.
Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: HVAC
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Just checking to see how things are going.
11/18/2017
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 27 days ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

Hello, one minute while I get some information together. Note it takes time to type so please be patient.

If nothing is plugged in the exhaust or intake vent then check the pressure tube for blockages. That is the rubber tube that connects the pressure switch to the blower housing. If that tube is blocked or slightly plugged that could happen. Lastly check the port where the tube connects to the exhaust blower housing make sure that port is not blocked with crud. Normally it is one of these issues causing that problem. Let me know what you find.

All I ask is please select the 5 STAR rating at the top of your page before leaving otherwise I receive ZERO credit for assisting you. Thanks and you can come back anytime for free followup questions.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I checked the tube that goes to the blower housing and there was positive pressure. I unplugged the vacuum tube on the switch that goes to the fire box, exhaust blower housing and gas valve. When the door is off it runs, when I put the door back on it shuts off.

It sounds like you have an exhaust flow issue is something blocked in the exhaust?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I vacuumed out the exhaust. With the door off of the firebox it runs perfect and is exhausting outside the house. Why do you think it would run with the door off but not on.

Do you mean the panel just on the furnace or the actual burner box panel?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Burner box panel.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Just checking to make sure we are still connected.

Well yes with that off it is drafting air from the room not through the exchanger, you may have a plugged exchanger or condensate on the secondary exchanger may be clogged up.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
What would you suggest are my next steps? Also, why would it make a difference if it was getting air from outside or from in the room?
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
The air from the outside does not go through an exchanger. It just goes direct from outside in a tube to the burner box
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Just checking to see if you are still there. Should I hold?

Remove the cover to the secondary exchanger and check it for blockages can you do that?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Where is the cover for the secondary exchanger. Thank you.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Is this on the back of the furnace?
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
There is no flame rollout. Would this not indicate that the exchangers are not clogged?

Here is how the exchnager is changed, you would not get a flame rollout since you hjave a pressure switch that is attached to the burner box.

CLICK HERE

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Before I move to clean the exchanger would you please elaborate on why the burner box vacuum pressure switch would explain why there would be no flame rollout? The furnace does not run with this unplugged and the door on but runs with it unplugged and the door off.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Essentially I isolated the vacuum pressure switch, by unplugging, so that it does not impact the running of the system.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
The condensate tubes are cleaned

I would say you have a blocked exchanger is it runs with the burner panel off you are just drafting air from the room not through the exchanger properly.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I realize this is a tough one. However, I am not ready to clean the exchange unless there is some condition which indicates this is needed (i.e. flame blowout.. This is why I am trying to understand your logic as to what condition may be causing this. Thank you for your help. It is very much appreciated.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
In what circumstances would the system have 0 flame blown back and a clogged exchanger. Still do not understand why the air from outside or inside makes a difference. Please explain before I get into a larger project to clean the exchanger.

OK are you certain the intake air is not blocked at all?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
it is not blocked. To check this I removed the tube going into the burner box so that it sucks from in the basement.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Please opt out. I want another expert.
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH