HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

This time of year should my air exchanger be running full…

Customer Question
This time of year...

This time of year should my air exchanger be running full time or can it be on automatic in which case it turns on and off on its own?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Filters? Do you mean the furnace filter or is there one in the exchanger as well?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I am able. I consistently change the furnace filters. That's why I'm asking if there is another filter.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The last time I had a maintenance service call the technician told me the furnace was cycling too frequently. He adjusted that. I am talking several years ago. I am wondering what that cycling schedule,is based on? For example can you select whether it cuts in when the temperature drops by .05 degree, 1 degree, 1.5 degrees, etc. I've been noticing that when it cuts in, if I am not working/relaxing that my hands and nose are getting cold before it turns on.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/17/2017
HVAC Technician: Gaztech, HVAC Technician replied 10 months ago
Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician

Hi I amCustomer a independent technician, I will assist you with your issue.

Don't forget to rate the 5 star rating AT THE TOP OF PAGE after we are done. this will credit me for assisting you.

Your question goes from air exchanger to furnace??

\This time of year air echanger should be set to automatic. 20 min on/40 min off is the best if you have that option on your control. and dial set to approx 45% humidity.

There is 2 filters in air exchanger that needs cleaning befor you stART USING IT

As for your thermostat setting 1 degree is normal.

If you have a old house that seeps cold air from outside . 5 degree will make it short cycle.

I noticed question is still open, rate the 5 star rating AT THE TOP OF PAGE if we are done. this will credit me for assisting you.