HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

My furnace is a hot water boiler with radiators. It does a

great job heating but this...
My furnace is a hot water boiler with radiators. It does a great job heating but this last week it only has been raising the house temp from 60 to 66 in the mornings and then cuts out. I have two zones and neither zone will get heat. It will resume heating in the afternoon. I know it cant be that both thermostats are broken because they have both worked fine in the past. Any idea what the issue could be?
JA: Did you check the furnace's filters?
Customer: I did not. This does not have an air filter
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
11/17/2017
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your

issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation. What is the brand and model of your boiler? do you have 2 circulator pumps or 2 zone valves and 1 pump?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Weil McClean Gold oil p-wgo-3Im not sure about the pumps or valves or which is which but I have two zones. I can take a picture if you need?

Pictures would help. Do you have to hit the reset button on the burner to get it going again?

Click on the link below for info on posting pics here

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have tried turning the furnace on and off a few times. It is heating itself well and staying in the 150-180 range and fires up properly to keep itself at the correct temp, but I am unable to get any hear into either zone
20171117_092606.jpg2017111...jpg20171117_092636.jpg2017111...jpg20171117_092538.jpg2017111...jpg20171117_092615.jpg2017111...jpg20171117_092557.jpg2017111...jpg20171117_092625.jpg2017111...jpg

Ok, pictures weren't much help except to show me you have 2 pumps (I assume 2 zones) and one of the pumps is installed wrong. Since there's no heat in either zone I need to see the relays the pumps are connected to. Follow the cable connected to the pumps back to the control box(es) and give me a pic of that. Also what is the water pressure on the gauge? The last time the heat worked could you hear water rushing through the pipes?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just purchased the home about a month ago. We were having issues before buying getting the heat to work at all. The furnace company came out and changed a valve and also said that they disconnected the outdoor reset which you can see there. The odd thing is that the screen is currently blank but there are times that I go down there and the display shows the outside temp. I find that to be odd since the disconnected it. besides that there have been no issues. Hopefully these pics help. Also, what is installed incorrectly and why?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also, water pressure is at 40

Either you're reading the wrong scale or water pressure is way too high. 30 psi is max. The releief valve should discharge above 30. But that's not the likely cause of your problem today. With the thermostats turned up do the LED's on the right side of the relay light up. Outdoor reset does not look disconnected in the pic

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
good news and bad news. As I went down there that screen is magically displaying the outside temp (hard to see in the pic but it is displaying) now and there are two lights on the side of that circuit board lit up (one red and one green). These were not lit in the last pics I took for you 20 mins ago. The rads are now heating. The bad news is I dont know why they have been unable to heat over the last three hours and why that circuit board and temp display only comes on from time to time. Im still in need of help here because the heating is temporary I fear

Ok, sounds like your outdoor reset is acting up. If this was my house I'd get rid of the outdoor reset. They are notoriously unreliable. If you want the same energy saving boiler water temp modulation that the outdoor reset provides then replace the aquastat/relay (main operatng control) with a Beckett Aquasmart. The Aquasmart uses a propiertary algorithm to do the same thing as outdoor reset controls but does it with no sensors. It costs no more than a standard operating control.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. It is hard to just remove that? If so, how do I do it? It looks like only 3-4 wires behind there connected by wingnuts

It's wired into the relay and the wiring is a bit complicated. If you have some experience I can walk you through it but if you aren't confident in your wiring ability then leave this to a pro. An electrician or plumber familair with hot water system control wirng should be able to do this is about an hour.

I have to leave for about an hour. If you want to tackle this let me know and I'll respond when I return. If not I'd appreciate a favorable rating. The thread won't go away and I'll answer related follow up questions even after you rate me favorably

Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
A few questions. What should the mix, target and boiler settings be on for the PC-705? Should that snap on sensor be located there? Any idea why it is cutting itself off?

I'm not familiar with this contol and would never use one. I'd expect it was set properly when it was installed. Most likely culprit is a bad outdoor sensor.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
With your help I think I have isolated the issue but unsure of the cause. I have a SR503 board that along with the PC705, shuts down every morning about 1/2 after starting up to heat the house in the morning. We have the house set to 70 and set back to 60 at night. I had the furnace running for an hour straight last night just to test it so it is capable of running for more then a half hour. So, I am wondering why the SR503 AND the PC 705 go blank every morning for about three hours then come back on later in the morning. There are no shorts and it would be too much of a coincidence for both of these to short out at the same time every day. What could cause these two to shut off? Some sort of protection switch somewhere?

WWSD (warm weather shut down) might be the culprit. Beyond that there might be a timer (not a good idea) elsewhwere in the control circuit. Either way my original advice remains the same.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
My concern is the SR 503. Would the PC 705 control the electricity to the 503 or does the 503 control the 705? Both are shutting down but a third relay for the hot water is always operational. Something is not right and I need to figure out if it is the 705 creating issues for the 503 or the 503 causing issues for the 705

The PC705 controls/overrides the SR503 function. If you eliminate the PC705 the SR503 will function fine on its own. The SR503 powers the PC705

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Good news. I found the issue. Not I need help fixing it.When the boiler mate calls for heat, everything shuts down except for the hot water and furnace. How do I make the heating a priority?

Normally there is a priority switch on the SR503. I don't see one. Unless the DHW has it's own separate relay I can't help from here. If it does I need to see how it's wired

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
The dhw uses a sr501 by tself, separate from the 503

show me the wiring

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I'm not finding a priority stitch on the 501
15110417301411988910612.jpg1511041...jpg1511041793578983538210.jpg1511041...jpg15110418320371945451760.jpg1511041...jpg1511041868489520704211.jpg1511041...jpg

There is no priority switch on an SR501. I'm not seeing what I expected to see on the 501 which would explain why the 501 is shutting down the rest. This will take some onsite examination. I can't do it from here.

Rick
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor