HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My American standard freedom 80 two stage furnace is very…

Customer Question
My American standard freedom 80...
My American standard freedom 80 two stage furnace is very sporadic. I have changed ignitor, flame sensor, and filter. 50 percent of the time it will not reach set temperature and short cycles giving an error code 2 flashes-external lockout. Is there anything else I can check for this issue?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/17/2017
HVAC Technician: Gaztech, HVAC Technician replied 10 months ago
Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician

Hi I amCustomer a independent technician, I will assist you with your issue.

Don't forget to rate the 5 star rating AT THE TOP OF PAGE after we are done. this will credit me for assisting you.

Your furnace has a slot on each side of the each burner that allows the flame to spread to the burner on either side of it. Most likely they are clogged and some burners not lighting up to satisfy flame sensor.

The flame will ignite and all burners will ignite 50 percent of the time however it will cut out the natural gas after 5 to 10 minutes before reaching set temp. I can hear the gas valve click off when this happens

Is it possible that burners dont all light up 100% of the time, have you taken them out to clean the bridges between burners, they have a rusting issue

All burners light when the ignition burner lights. I have cleaned all burner compartment and orifices . Just will randomly shut down gas before cycle completes. Flame roll outs are also functioning properly

Possible temperature high limit situation, due to improper air flow

1. instal new filter
  2. inspect underside of A/C coil for restriction
  3. all air vents are opened and unostructed.
Wouldn’t the sensor board bring a code of high limit of that were the gas? And not external lock out?
Sorry if that were the case wouldn’t it show high limit instead of external lockout(retries exceeded)

external lock out is due to furnace trying to cycle but locks out after multiple tries

I see the board with a call for heat, heat exchanger kicks on, igniter lights, I hear gas valve click to open and 50 percent of the time it does not fire at all and 50 percent of the time it short cycles
then it will retry 2 times before lock out. Sometimes it retries with success but not often

Mesure voltage at gas valve, 24V should be steady while thermostat is calling for heat,

it may be a defective gas valve.

Well obviously it has 24v until it doesn’t and it shuts off what would tell the gas valve to shut off prematurely with a new flame sensor installed and no code for high limit

Have you checked the inducer motor vacume line, it may be restricted

Each end of the tubing fits on to a nipple on each component. Remove the tubing and inspect for blockage. Also look directly into the nipple on the inducer motor. It should be clear, but I have repeatedly seen some sort of substance blocking the nipple. I use a shopvac and a thin wire probe to draw the material out of the inducer motor.