HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a thermostat that is new, but right now it is totally…

Customer Question
I have a thermostat...

I have a thermostat that is new, but right now it is totally blank and dark. I cannot get it to light up and come on.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

I think it has to be the thermostat. The HVAC is 6 months old.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I don't know. I could call a tech. I was just wondering if there was something I could do on my own.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No. I just need to know how to get the thermostat to work. It seems "dead."

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/17/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 8 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

This is an indication we are not getting power to the thermostat.Possible causes

1.Breaker off or bad supplying power to indoor unit

2.Stopped up drain breaking circuit to thermostat through a float switch in drain

3.Defective transformer in indoor unit

4.Blown auto type fuse in indoor unit

5.Break in control wire between indoor unit and thermostatLets start with most simple.Look to see if there may be a float switch in drain breaking the circuit.

Lets start with most simple.Look to see if there may be a float switch in drain breaking the circuit.