HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a mobile home furnace and it won't turn on. Yes. Once…

Customer Question
I have a Coleman...

I have a Coleman mobile home furnace and it won't turn on.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

Yes. Once there is a call for heat, my inducer motor just hums and nothing.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Maybe. Thought it was a bad motor so I replaced it.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/17/2017
HVAC Technician: Gaztech, HVAC Technician replied 5 months ago
Gaztech
Gaztech, HVAC Technician

Hi I amCustomer a independent technician, I will assist you with your issue.

Don't forget to rate the 5 star rating AT THE TOP OF PAGE after we are done. this will credit me for assisting you.

If it hums it could be stuck if its the first time starting this year, if you can see inside motor try to turn it to see if it does turn free or if it is seized

I replaced the motor and the new one does the same thing.

So motor turns free?

Is there a capacitor for that motor, and if yes, did you replace it

No capacitor. Motor turns free.

did you checked voltage for 120 volts ac?

It's getting 120v.

well that makes no sense,

Tell me about it. It has a centrifugal switch on the motor which won't close and send 24v to the igniter module.
wiring diagram is all worn off in the furnace.

OK then take inducer fan out, and try another power source

I've jumpered 120v from switch straight to motor leg and still just hums.

All I can think is you got a bad replacement motor!!

How often do these need oiled?

If theres oiler tubes on it?? once before heating season, but should be sealed bearings

There r oil tubes. Do either of these relays control the motor?

can you attatch photo?

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer