HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

If a gas water heater with an FVIR is installed in a room…

If a gas water...

If a gas water heater with an FVIR is installed in a room with a washing machine, can cleaning products such as liquid laundry detergent and chlorine bleach trip the FVIR?

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

Not a problem yet. We've been advised by a plumber who was quoting an installation that this is a problem with other installations he has done. If it is a problem, we'd have to figure out where to move the water heater.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The closet alcove where the water heater is located is on an open hallway with louvered doors that cover the equipment when not in use. No lint or heat issues with this location.

11/16/2017
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Almost any volatile product, including cleaning products, can trip a FVIR, not just technically flammable vapors.

Would either liquid laundry detergent or liquid all-fabric bleach be considered volatile in this instance?
Also, in what concentrations. both the washing machine and water heater are essentially in an open hallway, connected to the air circulation of the rest of the house.

No way to know and you can't measure that anyway. No way to know. It's best to store any chemical elsewhere.

Do you know if Rheem makes a non-FVIR 40 gal residential gas water heater?

ALL water gas heaters now have a FVIR

Looks like we're into redesigning the house/plumbing. Thanks.

You're welcome

Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor