HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have this same heat pump with ac and Im trying to setup a…

I have this same heat...
I have this same heat pump with ac and Im trying to setup a new thermostat but there are some issues. I have hooked up the thermostat following these instructions but the heat is not working and the thermostat controls all seem wrong, please help! Thanks!
Not entirely sure if you know which instructions im referring to but I just need to know which wire go where so I can turn my heat back on! Thanks
I can get the blower fan to run via the thermostat but no heat is produced after ten min of run time. Once I change the thermostat to turn off the whole panel seems to shut off and turn back on but is not reset.
any body out there? was told 8 min wait? i just need wiring directions.
11/17/2017
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Just got in and saw your question.Do you still need help? If so give me mode on air handler and outdoor units

Yeah im here and still need help
What information do you need?

Lets start with model on air handler(furnace ) and outdoor unit

Do you see an actual mode. I am trying to figure out what the K and Z terminals were.Those are unusual

I can take pics of whatever you need to see.

Do you see an actual model. Like HEH 012 or similarR

FEB 020HA

Stand by while I look this up

As far as I know, yes, the old thermostat had matching connections for all the letters seen and is also a Intertherm. One thing I did notice while I was just in there was that one air filter was dirty (left side) and the right side wasnt at all.
To reiterate, the unit was producing cold and hot air as intended prior to the removal of the old thermostat.

I see. I though pic was of old thermostat. I am not seeing any cross reference for the T K and Z to go to on the Honeywell stat

I will send a picture of the old therm, one sec.

THanks

new one is on the right, excuse me.
Should I send you a picture of the wiring diagram on the front of the unit?
I also have a volt meter.

Next give me model on the intertherm outdoor unit

Then I want you to tell me if you get a voltage reading between R and X on furnace board

check volts with the unit running or off?

Does not matter

ok standby, gotta get my cold weather gear on :)

No problem

Thanks now inside tell me if you get a voltage reading between R and X on furnace board

voltmeter is dead. forgot to turn it off last time

OK for now lets look at your setup menu.Do you know how to get there?

Did you ape off the red tat used to go to Z and move the black that went to K over to E as I mentioned?

You can leave the black to Aux, but add a little jumper from aux to E

Take red out of aux and tape it off

the picture above is the current configuration. red RC with jumper to R, Yellow to Y, C empty, white to OB, green to G, brown to aux, pink to E, L empty

remove pink and tape off. Add a jumper from aux to E

blue, black and grey are hanging as well

Were those connected on old and if so to what?

they all went to the corresponding letters on the furnace board
pink removed, jumper added

Lets look at the setup menu

Tell me what functions 1, 2, 3 ,5 are set to

i see a 1 and a 5

Are you saying function one shows set to 5?

2 and 0, 6 and 9, 8 and 9, 9 and 3, 12 and 1, 13 and 0, it just keeps going
yeah

OK so function 1 is on 5 and 2 is on 0 right?

Ok now turn to call for COOL and see if indoor and outdoor will come on?

Indoor comes on when i set the fan to ON, outdoor unit is off. Then when I set back to AUTO the panel shuts off and comes back on like a reset or something

Not really sure where to go from here on this one.Sounds like a conflict with the way the furnace signals heat pump.Those extra terminals K,T and Z that we do not have may be the issue

You are probably going to want to get an onsite tech to do a work around,I am sure the thermostat can be used just may have to rewire around the old relays in that junction box.

All we really need to do is send signal to outdoor unit, reversing valve and fan in cool mode and outdoor ,indoor and fan in heat mode the energize strips for aux or emergency heat

How do I do a factory reset on the thermostat? it wasnt brand new when I got it.

Dang I thought we were working with new,Thermostat may be junk,

Do this, Touch the R wire to Y and G and see if indoor and outdoor come on

I touch it to Y and the outdoor unit comes on, I touch it to G and the indoor unit comes on

Your problem is with this thermostat.I would stop wasting time with it and get a new thermostat.Wire as we had and I feel you will be good.

There is one trick I have seen work to reset these digital thermostats that works sometimes. That is to remove batteries and install them backwards for 5 seconds, Then remove and install properly,If this does not reset the little computer board in the thermostat you will need to replace the thermostat.

Note: Occasionally , this will not work and will even cause thermostat to start smoking.If so simply remove batteries.If thermostat is not working already, it is worthless anyway, so no harm done .I have seen it work about 20 per cent of the time. So if that is something you are comfortable doing would try it.Could save you having to buy another thermostat.Otherwise, just go ahead and replace it.

Leaving office for the night will check in tomorrow morning to see if that helped.If not go ahead and get another thermostat

Not sure but now both units are running with the heat setting and waiting to see if i get heat
I played with the settings and change the O/B Changeover valve to work on heat instead and voila, the heat started working. Everything appears to be working fine now. Havent checked on the ac yet but Ill do that tomorrow, been at this puppy all day. Thanks for your help today. Have a good night.

Great news, et me know how it goes.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.

airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician