HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have two zones on the same furnace. One zone turns on no…

Customer Question
HI! I have two...

HI! I have two zones on the same furnace. One zone turns on no problem, but the other stopped turning on. The fan does not kick on at all. Any advice where to start?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

Yes I just replaced them

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I would like to

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I changed the thermo-couple as the fire was not igniting. Now the fire ignites for the downstairs zone but not for the upstairs

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/16/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 10 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello the problem is with the thermostat in that zone, or the zone control panel relay, or the zone control damper.

To test the thermostat, fit a jumper between its R and W connection on the zone control board, if the system then runs in heat mode the problem is with the thermostat.

If that fails, measure the voltage across the two terminals of the zone control damper connections at the zone control control panel. Learn from zone 1 what the voltage should be when the system is running well, then if you have the same voltage at the zone 2 connection, the damper is bad.

Let me know how all that goes

My goal is to give you the best experience possible!

.

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally.. and with over 8,000 questions answered here since 2009, with a 98.5% satisfaction rating.

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my answer so far positively.. . and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

That said, I cannot guarantee that you will not do something unsafe, or cause damages. You take that risk.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.

.

Tell me a lot about your technical background and instruments on hand so that I can coach you most effectively. We can go from here as you keep asking follow up questions without any limits …

.

Take a close up, exceedingly well focused photo of the wiring diagram glued inside the furnace/air handler door, and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo(s) to me.

those actions are necessary to keep you on top of my list.