HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Installing a new propane furnace. House is 1800 sq ft over 2…

Customer Question
Installing a new propane...

Installing a new propane furnace. House is 1800 sq ft over 2 floors (900 each level) House is also over 200 yrs old w only minimal renos on the main floor to insulate walls. We were quoted on a two stage, 1200CFM, MBH 80/52 unit. From other comments it seems we should consider a 1600CFM unit. What is the difference between the 2?

Contractor's Assistant: Have you talked to a construction professional about the floor?

The floor?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No, it is being installed professionally.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Living room 22x24 was completely gutted and insulated 25 ys ago. Attic was recently insulated and covered w 1/2 inch plywood...sorry don't know the R value. At 200+ years old the rest of the house can be quite drafty and the windows are 35 yrs old, if that helps.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/16/2017
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 8 months ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

Hello, one minute while I get some information together. Note it takes time to type so please be patient.

Well this really depends on the duct sizes you have or are going to have in the house. The CFM will only matter if you have too large of ducts that are meant for 1600 CFM not 1200 CFM. Does that make sense? The HVAC contractor should know this and should be able to size it right, most times this would just be a 1200 CFM unit for that size house, I doubt that you would want 1600 or you would have whistling and noise issues trying to push too much air through too small of ducts.

All I ask is please select the 5 STAR rating at the top of your page before leaving otherwise I receive ZERO credit for assisting you. Thanks and you can come back anytime for free followup questions.