HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Heat-N- Glo gas fireplace. Fire starts, when I turn…

Customer Question
I have a Heat-N-...

I have a Heat-N- Glo gas fireplace. Fire starts, when I turn switch on, burns for a few minutes, then go out & in a few minutes start burning again

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, what type of fireplace is this?

Heat-N- Glo gas insert

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The fire seems to burn OK, then just goes out, no gas smell then relights itself in a few minutes

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 4 days by:
11/21/2017
HVAC Technician: Jerry, Service Technician replied 8 months ago
Jerry, Service Technician
Do you still help with this?
my credit card has charges twice with out any help, I need an answer, I have paid for it if not I want a refund.
HVAC Technician: Jerry, Service Technician replied 7 months ago
My name is***** am very familiar with heat n glo products. There are two or three things that can cause this type of problem. However I know very little about your insert. It would be best if we could talk by phone to get this history. Are you able to do this? We could set a phone appointment. Also I will need model number and age of insert.
It is at my girl friend's house, as soon as I get the information that you want, I will call you. Thanks
It would be best if you were at the insert to do some testing. If that won’t be possible I’ll give you some things to try. I’ll need to know if this insert was recently installed or if this just started happening.
I will list the causes in most likely to least likely. Then you can check these and let me know what you find. 1. Low millivoltage from pilot. Caused from either dirty pilot flame or dirty thermopile. Possibly weak or faulty thermopile if flame on pilot looks blue and sharp. 2. Loose or corroded wire connectors at on of switch or where switch wires connect to gas valve. 3. Venting pipes loose or incorrectly installed. This would cause flame on main burner to begin to “ghost” or float. 4. Glass door not latched correctly. Again the most likely cause would be one or two. If you have a multi tester to check millivoltage that would be a great starting place. This is assuming the unit is older and has a standing pilot.