HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have an oil burner question, One week, Yes, Please connect

I have an oil burner...
I have an oil burner question
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: One week
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Please connect me with someone who deals with oil burner questions
11/16/2017
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

My name is Billy.

What do you need information on?

I have a miller mobile home furnace in my garage, it is located upper floor and blows down to my working area, I don't leave it running all winter, it has a wayne oil burner model M-LS (MP 98) which is old has been giving me problems the last couple of years, would like to replace it with a newer burner, found a beckett AF-10 never been used for $245, the combustion tube on the wayne is 3 inches from flange to end, the beckett is 2.5 inches, I think it will work, that is my question?

yes it will work. You just need to make sure the burner is fully inserted.

The only thing I would make sure to check is the size of the nozzle in the new burner. Make it sure it is not oversized compared to your existing one.

Many do not know they can downfire the unit with a smaller capacity nozzle.

If you have any other questions let me know...but I have done exactly what you are planning with no issues.

Billy

I plan on putting the same size nozzle that is on the wayne on the beckett, I have a second question relating to a oil burner boiler, will there be another charge for second question or maybe I could give a tip

just go ahead and post here for next question

I have a peerless boiler with a carlin oil burner model 99FRD, been running fine last two years, I cleaned it, new filter, and nozzle, readjusted electrodes with the gauge I have, it fires right up and works fine for a day or two then starts to stumble when trying to fire, especially when boiler is warm less of an issue when boiler hasn't run in several hours, took it apart and checked electrodes again they are set 1/8 inch apart ( maybe a smudge wider ), 1/4 inch from center of nozzle and 3/16 past end of nozzle, thoughts?

Does it trip the primary relay when having trouble or just does not start?

And if it trips primary does one press get it going?

It tripped the primary Honeywell control the first time, after I took it apart second time hasn't tripped it yet, I took it apart before I reset the primary

Have you tried a bit narrower on the tips setting?

Here is a great manual for the burner...just in case you do not have it.

Click HERE.....page 10 has some good setup information.

Okay I can't get the electrode gap any closer unless bend the electrodes, they seem hard to bend, was going to buy another set electrodes

Yes they are "stout"....being careful of the porcelin is the hardest part...but I have bent many.....

Check the other settings in that manual....usually if it misfires when hot the electrodes are to blame...

BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Thank you
BillyHvac
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech