HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Carrier furnace 58mcb080-20 gas valve will not open... i

Customer Question
confirmed 24 volts going to...
carrier furnace 58mcb080-20 gas valve will not open... i confirmed 24 volts going to valve... replaced the valve and same problem... i jumped 24 volts from the transformer and it opens no problem... not getting any error codes when the heat cycles... limit and pressure switches ok... any ideas?
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: the furnace calls for heat and the filters are new...
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: the inducer motor runs, the ignitor glows but the gas valve won't open
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: HVAC
11/15/2017
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 1 month ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

hello,

My name is Billy. You have 24v to the valve....but after that is the wire go direct to common/ground or another switch?

I will see if I have the schematic to confirm....in short it is like having 120v to a light fixture without the neutral attached...we have power but not a complete circuit

ok there is not another switch, and the control (gas valve) goes with a green/yellow back to board and also to cabinet ground.

May want to check the plug connector to board...worst case scenario is the board is not completing the circuit internally to common.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer