HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

The heat on my HVAC system does not come on. When I pull the…

Customer Question
The heat on my...

The heat on my HVAC system does not come on. When I pull the panel and run it it is calling for heat but does not come on. If I turn the HVAC system off at the breaker and turn it back on it will call for heat and heat for one cycle but then the next time it cost for heat it when I come on and the light will blink four times.

Contractor's Assistant: Emailing***@******.*** is the best way to reach customer service.

How can I post a question on the site?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Yes the thermostat set to 69° in the house temperature is currently 62°. All of the filters are currently removed from the system.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If there is a quick fix, yes. I was reading about the high limit switch and based on the blinking lights that seems to be the issue.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

That I’m aware of.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/15/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 8 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation. What is the brand and model of your unit?

Trane Model VT2060
Let's try over text first and I'll call if that doesn't work out.

What is the LED blink sequence?
Call prompt is automatic I have no control over it. We can continue here

OK. Four flashing, calling for heat based on schematic on back of panel.

You can try resetting the rollout switch(es) (see attached pic for typical). They are located just outside the burner chamber. Turn off the power then press the small button between the 2 leads to reset it. If it clicks you have reset it and the unit will fire up when you turn the power back on with any luck. If it doesn't click it wasn't tripped.
Check to be sure there isn't more than one by tracing the leads connected to the switch.

Let me see if I can find the switch(es).

ok

I see two components, one on either side of the burner chamber, attached to the wall, but no switch between leads.
Not really a switch because there is no button but has leads and just outside burner area.

I can't see the switch/sensor very well in your pic so if you don't see a small button between the 2 leads then it can't be reset. You can try jumping (connecting the 2 leads together) each, one at a time turning the power off before each attempt then back on. If that doesn't work look for the limt itself which should be above the burners and most likely looks similar to the attached pic and jump that.

When you say jump the limit do you mean to touch the wires together then for the limit switch?
I am assuming I can't hold them when the power is on. Is that correct?

You need to do more than just touch the wires. You need to insert a piece of wire into the connectors. A metal paper clip can work. Turn the power off while you do this then back on. Be sure the wires don't touch anything.

Are the wires low voltage?

Yes, it's 24 volts

I will connect them with a low voltage wire then. Should I do the rollout first or limit?

A tight fit is what's important whatever the wire size. Doesn't mater which you do first. Limit is somewhat higher probability of failure

I jumped the limit switch and it is calling for heat but no heat comes on. Try the rollout then?

Yes

Should I leave the limit switch jumped as well?

If it didn't fire up with it jumped then no point in leaving the jumper.

When I jump one rollout the system does not come on. When I reattached the switches it does but without heat still. Do I need to jump both rollouts?
Never mind - it just took a much longer time for it to come on.Approximately 2 mins instead of 30-45 seconds.
System comes on with one rollout swicth jumped.

Then you need to replace that one. You're not too likley to find one without a rest button, which is a perfectly acceptable replacement. Just note the temps ratings on each. They should be pretty close

Should it be taking much longer for the system to come on when both rollouts are jumped? It is taking about 1.5 minutes instead of 30 seconds. And when I push the thermostat up and it calls for heat the heat does not come on. Or is taking a long time like the rollouts did.

You could have a bad connection or possbly a bad thermostat.

Thermostat (Nest) is good and has been tested. I see it call for heat by the blinking lights on the control board. What wouyld the "bad connection" be? Is it something that I can pull wires a few times to reseat them?

rollout jumper is prime suspect. You have to check all the connections. I'd wait until after you replace the rollout if the problem persists

Should I just replace both then?

Wouldn't hurt