HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

The last couple days there has been a bleech like smell

Customer Question
throughout our house. I think...
The last couple days there has been a bleech like smell throughout our house. I think I can smell it around our furnace. What could this be? Our whole house stinks. Central air, LP furnace with electric plenum & heat pump - all new within last 3 yrs. and we do have carbon monoxide testers.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: HVAC
11/15/2017
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 1 month ago
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician

Is this a Trane or American Standard furnace. Russ

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. It’s an amana
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 30 days ago

You can get a smell when you change from cool to heat from the evaporator. In HVAC it is know as Dirty Socks Syndrome. A UV lights helps with this problem. You will need a tech to check the coil. You can google dirty sock syndrome. to check to se if have the same symptoms. Usually a chemical smell that burns the eyes and nose. Nothing you can do. There are several treatments for the coil but most of the time the coil has to be changed.

HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 29 days ago

The smell is not harmful to people but it does not go away needs to be addressed. Russ

gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician