HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

In 2003, we had a new high-end Carrier Infinity Weathermaker…

In 2003, we had a...
In 2003, we had a new high-end Carrier Infinity Weathermaker furnace installed - Model 58MVP-100-20 (run on propane). 8 years later, in 2011 - while still under warranty (parts and labor) the main heat exchanger failed. The guts of the machine (including the secondary heat exchanger) were replaced. In 2016, we started to hear a high pitched whine at start-up and pro-actively replaced the fan inducer before it failed. Now in 2017, the system shut down again and we are once again told that the main heat exchanger has failed. Getting codes 33 - followed by 13. Having now passed the warranty period - we must now pay for labor (quoted $1200) - though, all parts are apparently still being covered at no charge. The unit has been well maintained on a service contract, filters changed out regularly. No rust is apparent on the unit - frankly, looks like the day it was installed. Am also aware we are fast approaching the recommended life time cycle of a furnace (@20 years?). Why are these heat exchangers failing prematurely? Your advice how to proceed?
11/14/2017
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

The 58MVP was one of the furnaces included in the lawsuit against Carrier.The lawsuit claims that the polypropylene-laminated steel (“PPL”) used in secondary heat exchangers in the furnace degrades and disintegrates due to the high temperatures in the furnace and leads to premature corrosion.

Unfortunately you had to make a claim before August 2008 to be included in the reimbursement and extended warranty.

My recommendation is to replace the furnace rather than the heat exchanger and I definitely would choose a different brand like Rheem or Rudd.

airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician