HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Thank you! I have a Rodgers IF 80-361 thermostat. The date…

Customer Question
Thank you! I...

Thank you! I have a White Rodgers IF 80-361 thermostat. The date says Monday (it is Tuesday). The time (3 hours off) alternates with the room temperature. I would like to maintain a 66 degree temperature, but when I press the hold button, the hold sign does not appear. Twice every night the "set" button at 66 leaps to 69, and the fan goes on waking me up. I am able to stop the fan by going above and below 69 and leaving it at 66. Other than that everything is perfect. My goal is to maintain a steady temperature of 66 and not be awakened every night. Thank you for your help

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

I don't know.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Perhaps better if I made an appointment with an expert, who came to the house.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/14/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 5 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Lets start by setting date and time correctly.

See page 6 in this manual for instructions on setting time.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyhouse.com/product_files/White%20Rodgers%20-%201F80-361%20-%20Install%20Instructions.pdf

Next if you do not want a program but just want to maintain a temp, The thermostat can hold any temperature within its range for an indefinite period without reverting to the programmed temperature. Momentarily press HOLD button. “HOLD” will be displayed. Then choose the desired temperature by pressing or down arrow. The thermostat will hold the room temperature at the selected setting until you press RUN button to start program operation again.

If this does not work try a reset n the thermostat.To do so, press UP, DOWN , and TIME at the same time. This also resets the factory defaults to the configuration menu.

If this does not solve,

There is one trick I have seen work to reset these digital thermostats that works sometimes. That is to remove batteries and install them backwards for 5 seconds, Then remove and install properly,If this does not reset the little computer board in the thermostat you will need to replace the thermostat.

Note: Occasionally , this will not work and will even cause thermostat to start smoking.If so simply remove batteries.If thermostat is not working already, it is worthless anyway, so no harm done .I have seen it work about 20 per cent of the time. So if that is something you are comfortable doing would try it.Could save you having to buy another thermostat.Otherwise, just go ahead and replace it.

airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician