HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I am trying to figure out why our pilot light won't ignite.

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to figure out why our pilot light won't ignite. Our power went out today and now the furnace is blowing cold. We have reset the breaker and the on/off switch and the gas and the thermostat but it still won't ignite. I was looking at the Honeywell on/off gas switch and found a hole the size of a paperclip right near a place where it says tc/tr, so I was wondering if the hole is another reset button I could try

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

Probably not the thermostat

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

We will try

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Last year we replaced a fan because of a similar problem, but this time we think it was related to the power outage, not the fan

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
We tried it.. its not a reset button. so, what else can we try?
11/14/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 10 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

What is the brand and model of your furnace?

It's a Tempstar, model #867.768361 and the spark circuit inside is a Honeywell S8600M, I am wondering if the power outage may have effected or fried the Honeywell S8600M spark thingy but I don't know how to test it. What do you think are possible issues a power surge may have caused. The fan and thermostat seem to be still work normally, it just doesn't get the message to ignite.
I guess its not a "pilot light", it's an auto ignition any time the furnace comes on, sorry I was calling it the wrong thing.

Ok, that's not a Tempstar model number. Can you post a clear pic of the wiring diagram which is usually pasted to the back of the blower access panel?

Click on the link below for info on posting pics here

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl