HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a T.H.E. 90 furnace, model 2970E766. A couple of days…

Customer Question
I have a Coleman...

I have a Coleman T.H.E. 90 furnace, model 2970E766. A couple of days ago, the high speed blower wire (black) at the blower relay melted. I replaced it with a new 1/4 female blade terminal. Now the red wire at the relay that supplies the 120 volts melted at the relay terminal. This would suggest excess current draw but the blower motor runs smoothly and the fan blades rotate freely. Help!

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

Yes, first thing I did was to clean it

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

For now, yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The furnace is 26 years old.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/14/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 8 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

If amp draw is not high replace the relay. Overheating wires are caused by one of two things. Loose connections or high amp draw. The contacts inside relay are most likely not making good contact inside relay

I checked for voltage drop across the relay and got zero voltage drop
the connection is good. What next?