HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Roll out switch keeps tripping on my heil furnace replaced…

Customer Question
Roll out switch keeps...

Roll out switch keeps tripping on my heil furnace replaced both them also high limit switch and air inducer

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

Brand new

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I have so far

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/13/2017
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 5 months ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

Hello, after you replaced the roll out...did the same thing happen to the new switch?

Billy

This is a bad sign...this means heat is being forced backwards, which means plugged exchanger OR a cracked/hole in exchanger.

If you start furnace and watch flames....when main blower kicks on does the flame pattern change and dance?

No but I did notice that on the burners that the flames seem to be coming out of the entire end of the burner not just where the flame goes into the tubes

are the burners deteriorated?

How old is the furnace and is it natural gas or propane?

The flame pattern looks normal...the spreader wings carry flame at the ends and that looks normal.

Usually if there is a vent restriction the pressure switch faults. But, are you sure the vent pipe/chimney is clear?

Not sure about chimney what is a good way to check it

Depends on the type...usually take vent pipe from furnace off, check pipe...then look up chimney with flash light.

Ok took pipe off there’s no way to look up it it does have suction by lightning a wooden match it will pull the flame sideways

can you shine light from top and look in bottom?

I know this sounds like a pain....but I have seen many obstructions in chimneys from brick to critters...it is something that needs to be eliminated.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer