HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Question about basement insulation... It's not a problem -

Question about basement insulation... JA: I'll...
Question about basement insulation...
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: It's not a problem - it's a question...we live in the Atlanta area. 3 years ago, we purchased an existing home that has a full, unfinished walk-out basement, which means that the entire north and west side of the basement is above grade. The south and east walls are poured concrete and are below grade. When we bought the home, it had zero insulation in the stud walls on the north and west sides. The concrete walls also were not insulated. However, there was faced fiberglass insulation stuffed between the floor joists in the basement ceiliing
JA: Have you talked to a construction professional about the floor?
Customer: That's why I am here...let me cut to the chase. The batts in the floor are installed with the vapor barrier facing up toward the floor in the main area of the home, which leaves fiberglass dangling down from the ceiling of the basement. It creates a dirty situation and looks like hell. I am considering either removing all the existing fiberglass or covering it with a 6mil plastic barrier to give us a cleaner basement. I have done a lot of research on line and have gotten conflicting advice...we currently have NO moisture problem in our basement, no smells and no sign of mold. It is the driest basement we're ever had....I'm looking for opinions as to what my best alternative would be. Also, the furnace (FAG) is located in the basement, as well. I did insulate the exterior stud walls last year and that seems to have helped greatly with both temperature and humidity. I typically see 45-50% RH in the cooler months and 55-60% in the warmer months. When it's warm, I do use a dehumidifier.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself? Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Yes, I would do all the work myself. The temp differential now between my basement and the main floor living space is usually about 5-7degrees in Winter and about 7-10 degrees in warm / hot weather.
11/13/2017
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Given where you live the basement ceiling insulation isn't critical. While there's not much difference between removing it and covering the basement side with poly I'd go with removing it since a vapor barrier on both sides of joist insulation can at times trap moisture. Since you have a very dry basement this isn't a significant concern.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
OK, thanks. ***** asked my home inspector about this (why the floor was insulated and the outside walls weren't), his comment was "Maybe they're stupid". I never liked that answer, but seeing the other dumb things the builder did, maybe that was the correct answer.

You're welcome. Actually it's common practice to insulate the floor if the basement walls are not insulated.

Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Got it. Thanks for your help and have a great day.
Rick
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor