HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

When the thermostat is satisfied by my heat pump, it then…

Customer Question
when the thermostat is satisfied...
when the thermostat is satisfied by my heat pump, it then starts to blow cool air instead of turning off which cools the room i just heated it is on the emergency heat setting as it is lower than 35 dog here
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/13/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 8 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Sounds like we have a relay or sequencer sticking which is keeping the blower energized.If you want to troubleshoot and have a multi meter, give me the model on the unit which fan continues to run on, and I will be happy to guide you in troubleshooting and assist you in locating a replacement relay or sequencer online.

The unit is brand new -
Installed last week. Could the problem be with the thermostat? For some reason the 20+ yrs. thermostat wasn’t replaced! I️ ask this because the unit that was replaced did the exact same thing

It is possible it is in thermostat.Keep in mind though that new does not mean everything is good.Most of the relays and components are imported from China or Mexico.

To eliminate or determine if thermostat has anything to do with it we can try an experiment.

Disconnect thermostat wires from thermostat and connect R,G and Y wires together.This will bring blower and heat pump on.Let run about 10 minutes and disconnect the wires. If the fan still does what it has been doing, we know it is a relay in furnace.If not we will concentrate on thermostat.

my husband hasn't been home for a few days so he will try this today then i'll get back to you thank you for your patience
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 7 months ago

Thanks.We can go from there