HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Trane model tud080c936a1 (XE78) furnace. Sometimes…

Customer Question
I have a Trane...

I have a Trane model tud080c936a1 (XE78) furnace. Sometimes the furnace fails to light and I get the two blinking lights error code. In watching the furnace I can see that ignitor kicks on, but the burners never light. If I remove the wires to the gas valve and reconnect, this will usually fix the problem for a time but it seems to recur.

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the appliance? Have you gotten error messages before?

23 years.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No. Just curious.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I think that's it.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/13/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 8 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Sounds like either connections are not making good or you have a failing board.clean and secure connections.Then with a multi meter put leads on wires to gas valve.If the 24v is dropping out, replace board.If 24v is constant issue is the valve.

I was able to get the gas to shut off by wiggling the common connector with the furnace running. Took connector off and closed it a bit with a needle nose. No longer able to wiggle it and get gas to shut off.

Excellent job.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.