HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a charmglow ventless heater. the unit pilot light…

Customer Question
I have a charmglow...

I have a charmglow ventless heater. the unit pilot light will light and the gas will burn but only burns for about 1 minute. I have used a can of air to blow into the gas inlet . It work for a little while but will not stay lit long

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?

What to check on the thermastate? don't recall there are filters or not. I've had this unit for at least 6 yrs normally i would just have to blow air in the orafice this isthe first time i have seen this

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes at this point .Until i can get a tech to come out

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Other than blowing air into the line, is there anything else i can check?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/12/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 8 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Ventless units have an ODS (oxygen depletion sensor) pilot. There is a small hole on the pilot assembly just ahead of where the tubing connects to the pilot. If that hole gets dusty/dirty the unit will do what you describe. You need to blow out that hole

Did that several times . I used multi purpose duster by Endust. 3 cans of it

The sensor could have failed and the pilot assembly would need to be replaced.