HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have two Trane XE80's (side by side) in a new house I

Customer Question
I have two Trane...

I have two Trane XE80's (side by side) in a new house I moved into this summer. About two weeks ago, I opened them up to check the filters; all burners in both units were on. A couple days later, I changed the filters (after receiving mail order). none of the burners were on, but the house was at the right temp. These past few days are the first below 40 degrees. I noticed this morning that the house was at 60, and it was set at 64 overnight. i checked, and none of the burners are on. i have a nest thermostat that i installed several months ago. i "reset" the burners (turned down thermostat, turned off electricity, turned off gas to the units, waited 15 minutes, turned on the gas, turned on the electricity, turned up the thermostate). the blowers go on, but do not light. i do not see any glow from the hot surface ignitor. at a loss for what to try next!

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

The thermostat seems to be telling the system to go on and off at the right times. the blowers go off when i turn thermostat down, and go on when i turn the thermostat up. it's just that the burners aren't lighting.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes if possible

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/12/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 8 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your

issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

What are you getting for a flash sequence on the contrl board LED? You should be able to see it through the viewing port in the blower access panel without removing the panel.

the red LED light is blinking steadily, about twice per second. per the board, that means no issues.
uploading pictures

If it's a steady blink not a 2 flash them pause then 2 flash then you have no call for heat being recognized by the unit. This could be a thermostat or thermostat wiring issue

ok

the inside of the unit has the codes - it says "flashing slow - normal - no call for heat" and "flashing fast - normal - call for heat"i turned thermostat down, and it was blinking roughly one every .75 seconds. when i tuned it up, it did not change. i'll take a picture of the thermostat wiring. when i installed the nest, there was a little hesitance because i have a heat pump system (also have two XE1000 units ouside). but as i said, everything seemed to be working fine. going to shut things down so i can open up the thermostat now.

Could be an open short in the thermostat wiring. You can confirm this immediately by jumping the R & W terminals on the furnace thermostat terminal strip. Be sure the blower door switch is pushed in. When it powers back up does the furnace respond?

ok. i don't have a jumper wire handy, but can run out and get. here's some add'l info; i'm still getting familiar with the house. the XE1000 units i have are heat pumps. they were not running this morning, but they just kicked on and the house is heating up. it's mid 40's outside. last night was in the low 30's, so suspect the XE 1000's went off, and there's some kind of issue with the gas furnaces. i'll run out and get jumper.i also re-acquainted with the nest. in addition to normal RGYW, there's an orange. that's currently plugged into the O/B terminal on the nest. the nest compatibility checker says my wires are compatible, but should be installed by an expert since it's a dual fuel system.

You can just use a piece of wire for a jumper. First mention of heat pumps which could affect things.

I'm going to open this up to my colleagues so one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.

HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 8 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

If you have a dual fuel system this requires special setup when using the Nest.I can guide you in setting up but am out of town until late tonight.My Nest manuals are all on my office computer.