HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a goodman furnace and I just replaced my thermostat…

Customer Question
Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a goodman furnace and I just replaced my thermostat and now i have 6 blinking flashes on the LED indicator, any clue on how to fix it?

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

Possibly HVAC issue because I replaced the old thermostat due to it not maintaining a steady heat'

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If it is possible. The new thermostat is already installed

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Does the thermostat brand matter at all?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/12/2017
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 8 months ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

The thermostat brand does not matter, but the furnace model number...or...the legend description for the 6 blinks.

The 6 blinks means different things on different units.

The model number is *****

Thank you.

Take the doors off the furnace and locate the circuit board...this has the blinking light.

On this board is a yellow 5 amp fuse like in a car. Replace that fuse and you are back in business. If you need pic let me know.

Billy

What kind of fuse will I need?

it is an ACT5 amp fuse

Like shown HERE

Where can I go to get them at 9:38 PM?

any hardware, auto parts, Walmarts, Home Improvement stores...

Walmart it is then, home depot and lowes closed already! Thank you. Once I switch that fuse the LED should be a solid red and I should be good to go, correct?

You are correct....this fuse blows when the thermostat wires touch each other. If the furnace was still on when thermostat changed it blew this small fuse.

Well, it most likely was. Our furnace isn't labeled correctly on the breaker box so I updated that as well.

I know it sounds inconvenient, but this is good news as the fuse is cheap and it is easy to replace...

If you have any further questions let me know.

Billy

Once you are all set just rate service ( 5star system) to close question.

Billy

Turns out that didnt fix the issue

Then there is a wire on a wrong terminal.

If the furnace worked before thermostat change...then fuse blew...a wire was or is shorted.

If the furnace did NOT work before thermostat change then we can search elsewhere for the short.

What is code now or did fuse blow right a way?