HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My furnace won't turn on, seems as if there isn't any

Customer Question
My furnace won't turn...

My furnace won't turn on

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

Seems as if there isn't any electricity

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It was working yesterday I turned off the power turned it back on not working now

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/11/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 8 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

What's the brand and model number of your unit?

on it 1 sec

Ok

Goodman
GMT070-3B
Did you get that?

Yes give me a few to pull the specs

Cool thanks

Ok look into the viewing port on the blower compartment access panel and tell me if you see an LED. Is it flashing? how many times before pausing?

Can you elaborate on the "viewing port on the blower compartment access panel"
On the control board I see one LED bulb. It is NOT FLASHING.

If it's lit but not flashing that's normal operation. Try turning the thermostat down then back up again and see if the furnace responds. If it doesn't turn the power off, then connect the leads on the R & W thermostat terminals together and turn the power back on. What happens

No no. The unit is OFF.The thermostat is set to ON. The circuit breaker is set to ON. The switch by the furnace is ON.The LED light on the control board is OFF. (It may look on because of the flash of my camera).The thermostat is no displaying ANY thing besides 70. No buttons I push changes that. I can't "set" it to anything else.

Ok, so if no LED then there's no power to the unit. Where did you turn thenpower off to it?

That's what I'm asking you.
I switched a switch from on to off.I've checked the switch (the circuit) from the service panel. It is ON. The service panel breaker that says furnace is ON.The thermostat is set to On.The problem i'm having is that it should be on. But it's not.

You could have a bad switch. If you have a meter see if the switch has voltage on both terminals (other probe to common) or you can try just replacing the switch

How do i determine if the meter has voltage on both terminals?

You put 1 probe on a neutral (white) lead (often to ground will work) then the other on one terminal at a time on the switch. If the switch is on you should have power to both switch terminals

I don't understand. Do i need to have a voltage reader? I don't have that.

Yes you need a volt meter or a multi meter OR you can try just replacing the switch