HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Our Noritz N-069M water heater is having a problem keeping…

Customer Question
Our Noritz N-069M water...

Our Noritz N-069M water heater is having a problem keeping the hot water flowing when we are taking a shower. The hot water runs for about 3 minuters & cuts off. I turn the cold water off and have to wait for the hot water to cut back on & then turn the cold on again. Then after about 3 more minutes the hot cuts off. Do you think we need to replace the flow meter on the unit? If so, where do we get one? We live in Baton Rouge, LA. Thank you.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?

Th t-stat is set a 120. Hubby cleaned the filters. Forgot to mention, sometimes the unit cuts off & we have to go to t-stat & punch it off & back on. Happened to me yesterday when I turned on the hot water to the kitchen sink.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depends how complicated... hubby is handy, but we do have a plumber we use if necessary. He installed the unit in 2006.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

We removed & installed new water fixture (hot/cold handles & where water comes out [not sure what you call the!]) in the tub thinking that might be the problem, but it only helped about a week, then the hot water started cutting off again.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/11/2017
HVAC Technician: WCohn, Construction Worker replied 5 months ago
WCohn
WCohn, Construction Worker

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

I am a Noritz factory trained and certified repair technician.

Turn it on and let it run, even after it runs cold leave it on and see if the unit displays an error code

As a test, prior to running the shower, I ran just the water in the tub, adjusting hot/cold and it ran okay, without the hot cutting off. I turned hot/cold off, waited a few minutes & I turned the hot on fully, adjusted the cold water, turned the shower on. After about a minute, the shower water got hot, then hotter & then just cold water was all that was coming out of the shower. I went to the controller and it did not display an error code, but the red light for hot was not lit. As the water in the shower ran, the red light blinked a couple of times but then went off. Only cold water was coming out of the shower.Husband did change the tub fixture's (water spout, handles & shower heard) but that didn't help. He just recently changed the shower head again to a different hand held one, but that didn't make a difference either.When in the shower, after the hot cuts off (leaving the hot running), I turn the cold off and then the hot eventually comes back, then I turn the cold back on & after about a minute or two the hot kicks off again. I have to go through cutting off the cold in order to get the hot to come back on throughout my shower.

this sounds like cold water is mixing into the hot side somewhere in the system. I can diagnose this with you over the phone.

That sounds great. I will give you my husband Billy’s phone number. It is(###) ###-#### Thank you very much. I hope y’all can get this fixed.

You’ll have to accept my phone request

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer