HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My Honeywell programmable thermostat shows bat lo. I changed…

My Honeywell programmable thermostat...

My Honeywell programmable thermostat shows bat lo. I changed to new batteries but still get bat lo message. thermostat is still working and house is heating but I cannot program it

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

How to double check settings? I cannot get the thermostat to give me anything but "bat lo"

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible, yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

This is an old thermostat...is it fixable or do I need to replace

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/11/2017
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

My name is Billy. There are 2 choices here...

First take a nail file and sand down the battery contact points in the thermostat...just enough to clean them shiny.

Then install batteries and tell me result...we can go from there.

filed contact points. still have bat lo signal

Thank you.

If the batteries are good and inserted correctly...and the points sanded down, and it still says LO BAT

then you must replace the thermostat. It is losing the dc volt connection inside the thermostat.

Sorry but it looks like you have to get a new thermostat

Billy

is it wired to use the house electricity with the batteries just a backup?
if I take out the batteries will it still work. seems to

The batteries are for back up for the program, time.

If you do not use those features it becomes a reg thermostat, but most have no display then

BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
BillyHvac
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech