HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have an old floor furnace, and I know that at some point…

Customer Question
I have an old floor...
I have an old floor furnace, and I know that at some point the pilot mechanism was replaced. The landlord has refused to have her guy show me how to light it. It's out. I don't want to wait for days for the handyman to show. He lives fifty miles away. The last time a service person came, he crawled under the house to light it, and I wasn't here to watch how it's done. Can you give me the basics?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/11/2017
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 5 months ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

My name is Billy. I know this may be tough but if you could take pics of the gas valve I could show you/draw what to do.

Or...if you can tell me on the gas valve if you see a knob that has points around it labeled PILOT, OFF, ON

I wish I could do that , but I haven't gotten under the house in the crawlspace. There is a youtube video called how to light and turn off an old floor heater that is close. It shows two knobs, and looking at the heater from the top view, you can see a hole, and the pilot lit. As I said , the service guy told me that the pilot was updated at some point , but I have no pictures.

Ok, understand the problem is with floor furnaces that the age means it could have been changed multiple times and I have no idea what control is on it.

I can tell you if it is like most...

There will be gas pipe going into a gas control that has a knob....it is turned to PILOT...then while in PILOT you press down...this enables gas to come out of the pilot...while holding knob down light the pilot.

Continue to hold down for 45 seconds.

Then release and turn knob to ON position

Billy

I'm going to crawl under the house with my camera. This will take some time. Then I'll try and figure out how to give you some pictures .

OR.....if you see the knob as I described...just follow the previous directions

ok

Return back to this thread if any issue.

Here are the photos. I depressed the pilot light , but couldn't tell where the pilot is . I moved the flame next to the two pipes I saw, and over a flat plate. On the flat plate there was what looked like a flat button, and I tried lighting it there two. The valve is on-parallel with the pipe.
DSCN1397[1].JPGDSCN139...JPGDSCN1398[1].JPGDSCN139...JPGDSCN1399[1].JPGDSCN139...JPGDSCN1400[1].JPGDSCN140...JPG

downloading now, just a moment

Thank you,

Follow the tube I pointed out HERE

That is where you need to light pilot.

I give up. I can't see the pilot burner at all. I followed the steps and instructions, but I'll just have to go without heat.

without seeing the rest of the furnace like you can, all I can tell you is that silver tuber ends up at the pilot where you need to light it. I do not know if there is an access panel, accessed from underneath or side...

The pilot is attached to the end of that tube. I wish you the best and hope all works out.

BillyHvac
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech