HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

New construction home. Dryer booster fan in attic above

Customer Question
New construction home. Dryer...
New construction home. Dryer booster fan in attic above garage where the HVAC is also located. Every time the outdoor temp drops below 40 and the heat kicks on - the booster fan also turns on. Runs for 10 minutes - turns off for short period of time and then turns back on. What do we do?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/11/2017
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 10 months ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

Hello, one minute while I get some information together. Note it takes time to type so please be patient.

Is there a hood vent cap on the duct for the dryer or is it open at the end? A flap style end cap?

DO YOU MEAN on the outside of the house. There is a vent with 5 slats that open when dryer is on. It is closed and there is no wind.
The exhaust booster turned off and on all night. Only happening when the heat is on for long periods of time:i.e. cold enough outside (in attic) to make heat run. We adjusted the switch screw three times as recommended by Fantech support - but it did not change anything.

IS the exhaust vent connected at all to the other ductwork??

No, but the main heat pump duct work runs over the top of the dryer vent duct work so that it is lying on the dryer vent duct. My husband says the main heat pump unit is only 2-3 feet from the dryer vent duct work. He separated the two duct systems with a small box but this has not helped. It did not occur this summer when the air conditioning was on.

SO the ductwork is technically connected?

the outside of the two vent ducts touch each other.

OK somehow air is being blown into the dryer duct would that be possible?

Seems to me if that were the case - then it would come on when the air conditioning was running too. I wondered about somehow the heat generated by the heat pump and traveling through the ducts is warming the dryer vent duct and changing the pressure in it.

It could but that would be pretty hard to do unless it is getting really warm somehow.