HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

2 zone house, My basement is unfished, the zone one blower…

Customer Question
2 zone house, My basement...
2 zone house, My basement is unfished, the zone one blower is in the basement that leads to vents through the first floor. I Work in the basement and use a gas fireplace. My question is, if I cut into the ducts and add some vents 3 or 4 and open those when I am in the basement. Would that screw up anything.Its getting cold and we do have a gas fireplace down there but would like to add more vents to heat it better.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/11/2017
HVAC Technician: Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician replied 8 months ago
Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician

hi i am dan i can help you with this. adding more vents will not affect the furnace but while the vents are open it will reduce the airflow going to the rest of that zone. most of the airflow will tend to go to the vents that are closer and reduce the pressure to the rest of them. a better option would be to consider adding a separate zone for the basement. if you have any more questions about this please let me know or if this helps you i would appreciate it if you could rate me on my service by selecting one of the 5 stars on your page.