HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My furnace is about 1 year old the burners kick on a story…

Customer Question
My furnace is about...

My furnace is about 1 year old the burners kick on a story on about 3 seconds and then they shut off

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

Yes put new filters in new filter in

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes if it sounds like something I can do

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It is a York Furnace if you need the model number I can get it it has two glasses one at the top and one at the bottom and the glass the bottom of light or fire whatever it is down there is flickering when I turn the furnace on right now I have the furnace shut off

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
I took both doors off of the front of the Furnace there is a looks like a red light on at the bottom which was showing through the glass when I kick the furnace on that light glows when it starts to act up that life starts to Flicker and then when the burners shut down at light shuts off
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/10/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 10 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, so far it looks like a dirty or failed flame sensor rod, easily cleaned if its just dirty... 90% chance thats the problem.

OR a 10% chance the printed circuit board is bad IF you have actually seen the flames on the actual burners.

.

Take a close up, exceedingly well focused photo of the wiring diagram glued inside the furnace/air handler door, and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo(s) to me.

We can go from there with training, coaching and diagnosis.... without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed , after you rate this answer:

Select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.

.

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally.. and with over 8,000 questions answered here since 2009, with a 98.5% satisfaction rating.

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my answer so far positively.. . and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

That said, I cannot guarantee that you will not do something unsafe, or cause damages. You take that risk.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.

.

Tell me a lot about your technical background and instruments on hand so that I can coach you most effectively. We can go from here as you keep asking follow up questions without any limits … those actions are necessary to keep you on my list.