HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a 362AAN low boy with a Reillo 40 burner. Very often,

Customer Question
I have a Bryant...

I have a Bryant 362AAN low boy with a Reillo 40 burner. Very often, I need to press the reset switch to get it to run. Any time I press the reset switch, it will start up. Sometimes it will run fine for many cycles. But, especially if the cycles are far apart in time, it will fire and stop after 20 or 30 seconds. Sometimes, it will start and run for 10 or 15 seconds, and then the flame will stop, and then I will hear the spark click, and the flame will start again, but then stop after a few seconds. Once I get it to run for a minute or so, it will run fine until the thermostat tells it to shut down. Then, if the thermostat commands a new cycle and things are fairly warm, it will start and run fine. Sometimes, especially if things are cold, it will require one or two resets. Again, if it runs for a minute or two, it will run reliably until the thermostat turns it off. I've checked the CD cell and it seems to be fine. I have a new tank of oil, so that is fine, too. Again, once it runs for a while, it runs fine. It is just initial starting and running for more than a minute or so. I'm perplexed as to what the problem could be.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

I do not believe it has anything to do with the thermostat. It has something to do with the burner.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I thought that maybe the flue was clogged and that was causing a problem. I checked and there was a lot of debris in the bottom of the chimney and the flue pipe. I cleaned all that out yesterday so that is all good. I have primed the pump with fuel and I get a flow. The filter is relatively new, and this problem has been since before the filter was replaced.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/10/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 8 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your

issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

When was the last time it was tuned up?

Never.

Ok burner neeeds a tune up by a qualified Riello tech. This is not a DIY project

As I said, I tested the CD cell, and it is clean and working. I am an electrical engineer and have all sorts of test equipment, so I can measure just about anything. I am thinking that I need to change either the nozzle or adjust the spark gap, but it seems strange that it runs once it gets past the first minute or so. If it was the pump, it would not continue to work once it gets going. I have also checked for water in the oil, but that, again, cannot be the problem since that would cause it to shut off at random times

You may be an electrical engineer but you're not a trained Riello tech and I doubt you have a flue gas analyzer, a smoke spot reader or a stack temp gauge not to mention the required training and experience to service this unit. Would you try to tune up a Ferrari? You need a trained tech for this.