HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I live in North Bay, ON and had Error Code E5-Freeze Coax…

Customer Question
Hi, Hi, I live...

Hi, Hi, I live in North Bay, ON and had Error Code E5-Freeze Coax appear on my thermostat. The backlight color of the thermostat has turned from a soft blue to a dark red with the warning noted above. What causes this type of warning and what do I need to do regarding this error message. E5 - Freeze Detection - Coax Your system has experienced an issue Your geothermal system has experienced a technical issue and is "locked out". Although the geothermal unit itself is not heating or cooling, the system should automatically shift into backup electric heat, maintaining your heating setpoint until service is scheduled. ERROR E5 - Freeze Detection - Coax What's this? New Device North Bay, ON Nov 10, 2017 at 8:56 AM. Your WaterFurnace service provider N/A has also been notified. Please contact your WaterFurnace service provider at: N/A Log into your account

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Yes...both are fine. We had an extreme swing in temperatures overnight from 40' F down to 25'F...wondering if that caused the issue. I know for certain that we have glycol / antifreeze in the lake loop

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Not sure...if its easy, I suppose I can do it...if not, I will call in a technician

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

We just installed the unit (series 5 in June) replaced an old unit built in 1989

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/10/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 5 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, water scale build up inside the coaxial heat exchanger, or a dirty ground water filter, or air trapped in the system will cause that error code... if the coax is allowed to freeze it will rupture and leak water into to your heat pump system and cause many thousands of dollars in damage.

.

We can go from there with training, coaching and diagnosis.... without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed , after you rate this answer:

Select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.

.

OPENING STATEMENTS

Important note about RATING my work:

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally.. and with over 8,000 questions answered here since 2009, with a 98.5% satisfaction rating.

.

All I ask is please respect me and my input by selecting the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair,and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course, and goes beyond what most other experts here offer.....rate my answer so far positively.. . and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

That said, I cannot guarantee that you will not do something unsafe, or cause damages. You take that risk.

.

Lacking a positive rating I can spend days helping a person at my own expense and loose my shirt, shorts and socks on the deal.

.

Phone call offers:

If you wish to accept the companies $25 phone call offer, if indeed they send you one, this will go a *lot faster, but it IS 100% optional... or we can continue here in this dialog box at no additional charge.

.

Tell me a lot about your technical background and instruments on hand so that I can coach you most effectively. We can go from here as you keep asking follow up questions without any limits … those actions are necessary to keep you on my list

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer