HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My boiler pilot keeps going out after about 15 minutes. I've…

Customer Question
My boiler pilot keeps...

My boiler pilot keeps going out after about 15 minutes. I've had three HVAC techs out. Thermocouple was changed and still going out. The other two techs said boiler not getting sufficient has and said to call gas company. Gas company changed the meter and pilot still going out in 15 minutes. Gas company came again and changed something attached to meter and pipes going into house and the pilot is still going out. I'm not having problems with dryer, drive or water heater, just boiler. Any idea what the problem could be?

Contractor's Assistant: Are you an HVAC professional?

No

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It's getting cold and I'm having to use electric heater

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/10/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 5 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Based on your description I'm going to assume you have a standing pilot (lit all the time). Do you have a string pilot flame?

I do have a standing pilot. Do you mean a strong pilot flame? Flame seems okay. All five techs who came over didn't mention a problem with the flame. I forgot to mention after meter was changed, boiler did work for three days and then started doing same thing again. Gas company changed pipes into house yesterday which didn't help. Stays ignited while tech is here and then goes out.

Yes strong flame. A weak flame is often overlooked. Another possibility is inadequate pipe size but that would only be an issue if there was high demand in the house or on the gas main in the street. A faulty gas valve is another possibility but too many gas valves are replaced when a weak pilot is actually the culprit.

How big is th epilot flame? describe it to me

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer