HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Have central air heat pump trane unit. Have central air

Customer Question
have central air heat pump...
have central air heat pump trane unit
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: have central air trane unit heat pump. in either the heat mode --compressor running or in the emergency heat mode , the heat circuit breaker trips after about 5 minutes. in the cool mode there is no problem . . a technician checked the system this past .summer when i had this problem sporadicallyin the cool mode . he did not find a problem. suggested that that circuit breaker was bad. The circuit breaker was changed . --it did NOT solve the problem . I removed the cover from the thermostat. --found the 3 batteries badly corroded . cleaned the terminals --replaced the batteries . system worked fine in cool mode . now it appears the problem has shifted to the heat mode - Can it be that the Trane touch thermostat is defective and is causing the heat breaker to trip ????..or there is another possible problem ??? ..I.hate to call the tech folks and spent more dollars if not needed
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes if it is the thermostat ..wondering if therei is a way to sub in a cheap temp thermostat and use it as the test ..
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no I think i covered all the bases ..The tech guy was very through this past summer .. Since he could not duplicate the problem -and found no other issues -his best thought was the circuit breaker. It was only after I replace the breaker that i thought to look at the thermostat. .. -subsequently finding the corroded batteries......did note at that time ( last summer ) the thermostat lost power ( light went out )when the breaker was tripped
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: HVAC
11/10/2017
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 1 month ago
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician

Russ here. No the thermostat will not cause you to trip breaker. Can you tell me if it the breaker going to air handler inside or breaker to outside unit. Russ

Sounds like it may be breaker to emergency heat tripping breaker. Russ

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
outside unit ...perplexing since replacing the batteries on the thermostat fixed the problem this past summer in the cool mode ..never thought to check the heat mode ... the tech said there are times when the heat pump get a signal from the cool and heat via the thermostat, albeit rare, ..this could cause the breaker to trip ???? could it be that the new circuit breaker is defective ...but in the emergency heat mode --the compressor is out of the system --so the amp draw should be different.. i h ave about exhausted my 1980ts knowledge of AC system. Assume you are saying that is is the breaker on the inside air h andler part ...the tech did look at them but did not have the right tool to check the tightness of terminal --and we were up in attic and let it go as a look see ..never thought any more of it ...we are getting past my old sgt pay grade

I am old Sgt also. Looks like it is the breaker going to emergency heat. Most likely loose connection or bad breaker. Not the same breaker as the compressor. I would call them back and have them check breaker, Thats is all could be. Russ

The unit will run till it goes into aux heat and breaker will get hot and trip

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks for your service ..i spent 20 plus years wondering around .. not sure of how the breaker trips in both the heat mode --( compressor runs ) and in the emergency heat mode -- compressor not running --- and why it does not trip in the cool mode ??? having said all that --i will go up in attic and check those breakers --thought there were two ... for any defects

Air Force Vet here. The compressor and electric heat are two separate breaker. If the heat breaker trips it shuts down the system. If you could pull front of thermostat off sub base and remove the white wire going to W2/Aux tape off and retry system. This will eliminate the aux heat and let us know if it bad or weak breaker. Russ

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
AF also mostly aircraft maint --some field training instructor on SAC planes --in hind sight was great ..--had the good and bad times like most ...Will remove the wire wire and see what happens....he white wire is just above W2 --4th connection up ..but it is in line with aux 2 .. after removal --assume I will start the system in the heat mode and see if the breaker still trips ?

Yes sir. Remove and tape wire and start heat. Air Force was great. No regrets. Need to start the draft again and give some of these young folks some structure in the military. Worked Civil Engineering mostly except for two years in a mobility squadron. Let me know what happens . Let system run. Russ

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
removed and taped white wire --system in heat mode -- compressor ran for about 7 minutes and then the heat circuit breaker tripped ..will reinstall the white wire ...

Ok about as far as we can go without test equipment. Need to call tech and check amps on compressor. The compressor pulls same amount of amp in cool as it does in heat so there is another problem. Russ

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks for help .....agree that compressor does not appear to be problem ..the tech that was here this summer checked amp draw and said it was fine.... additionally ,,the breaker trips in the Emergency mode --which kind of eliminates the compressor ..... i think I will take another hard look in the attic at the breaker up there .. wish I had a wiring diagram to ponder over. -trouble shooting hard when one does not understand how it all works......A puzzle why it does not trip in the cool mode ??/ which keeps leading me back to the thermostat ...I guess I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous

You should have small envelope on unit with service facts wiring diagram. Russ

If you have no more questions I will open rate box for you. If you need a schematic give me model number of air handler and I will get one for you. Russ

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
here is the model number 2TWR4D42A1000AAadded info that might help find cause ?? there are 3 circuit breakers on the circuit breaker panel .. TWO of the breakers are marked heat --ONE breaker is marked AC... Only one heat breaker trips every six or seven minutes -- the tripping is the same -- regardless of whether the thermostat is in normal heat mode or if it is in the emergency heat mode ...
yesterday when I put the thermostat in the cool mode --the circuit breaker did not trip ??/ which added to the puzzle ...The question is what is common to the TWO heat modes -- and what is different when thermostat is in the cool mode.. The FAN ..the circuit breaker--and the thermostat are common in all THREE modes... what else is there .that is common or differentnote again that last summer when I had this circuit breaker tripping in the Cool mode - ( but only once in a while --weekly-- or once a day ) The tech guy said nothing I can see bad in the system -so assume it is breaker.
I changed breaker - problem returned.. Changed badly corroded batteries -- Problem did not recur for rest of summer -- Problem returned only after I set thermostat to the heat mode .. adding to puzzle ...something is drawing too much current.. So what are the possibilities .

The one thats tripping is a bad breaker. The fact that it only trips in heat. Russ

gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician