HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Why does the majestic dv360 gas fireplace have two

Customer Question
Why does the majestic...

Why does the majestic dv360 gas fireplace have two thermopiles

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, what type of fireplace is this?

Majestic direct vent dv360

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have tested the thermopiles. One seems to be bad. Reading very low after 2 minutes of trying to light the pilot (<O mV)

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
11/9/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 7 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Technically it has a thermocouple and a thermopile. The thermocouple is a pilot safety which shuts the unit down if the pilot goes out. The thermopile generates all the power required to operate the gas valve (< 1 volt). A reading of 0 mV indicates the thermo needs to be replaced. I'm assuming you're testing while the pilot is lit and the thermo is hot.

My fireplace has two identical thermopiles. My original problem was there the pilot would light ok, and the fireplace would light but go out after 15 minutes with the pilot still lit. Now I can't even get the pilot to light. One thermopile reads 0 after holding the pilot light button down for 2 min, the other reads about 350 mV

The 350 reading is OK the 0 reading is not

Ok. I switched the leads on the controller so that the thermopile that was controlling the pilot is now controlling the main gas. The pilot is now lit. Mainn burner will not light so I assume I have a bad thermopile?

Yes

The one that reads 0 is bad