HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

We need to know how to dis mantle a working Jenn Air. I

Customer Question
We need to know...

We need to know how to dis mantle a working Jenn Air

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Jenn-Air is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

I think it was put in the island when the house was built 1993. I am not by the house right now so I don't know the model.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Would like to if possible.. I see there is a vent in the floor as well as the motor..

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I can write back tomorrow after looking at the model if you need that. We just dont' know what to do with all the venting

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/7/2017
HVAC Technician: Jason Tyde, Architect replied 9 months ago
Jason Tyde
Jason Tyde, Architect

Hi, as an architect I can help with this.

First some questions.

• Why are you dismantling the Jenn-Air?
  • What model Jenn-Air are we talking about?
  • Is there some reason the existing ductwork needs to have something done to it?
I can't find a model number. I think it was installed in the house in 1993. We only have 2 burners & the grill. Decided to replace it with a 4 burner flat top electric range.

I am then assuming that the Jenn-Air range had an integrated venting system, probably a downdraft fan. Is this correct?

How will you be venting the new 4-burned cooktop?

Can the existing ductwork be repurposed to support the venting of the new cooktop?

It does . I thought it just had to be removed .

Not necessarily. How are you planning on venting the new cooktop, if at all?

If you are going to vent the new cooktop have you considered repurposing the existing ductwork to meet the needs of the new fan?

If you are not venting the new cooktop you can just leave the existing ductwork in place, blocking it off to eliminate any potential air or water intrusion where it penetrates the exterior envelope of your building.

Hello. Did I successfully answer your question?

If so, can you please accept my answer and rate my response?

Thank you, Jason